Start with the Basics
In order to keep your computer protected you should follow these simple, but important, rules:
1. Use a firewall . This could include hardware as well as software. Windows firewall should suffice but you can purchase a commercial version if you want to beef it up.
2. Install anti-virus software. These range from free versions to paid versions. A good starter is AVG Free.
3. Anti-malware. Again, these range from free to paid versions. MalwareBytes has a good free version for you to start with.
4. Regularly update Windows and your internet browser to to get the latest security patches.
5. Set up good passwords and protect them. A good password is at least 8 characters in length and contains a combination of letters, numbers and symbols.
The Protection Connection